Oct

LaTeX Resume Examples

Why even bother writing a Resume in LaTeX?  I believe that Matthew M. Boedicker summed it up very well:

Writing a resume using LaTeX is preferable to writing it using Microsoft Word, or something similar, for a number of reasons:

• When printed (as Postscript or PDF), LaTeX has a more polished, professional look than a document produced by a word processor.
  • A resume done in LaTeX will stand out, since most everyone else will use Microsoft Word, and probably the same wizard/template.
  • Convert your LaTeX to PDF, which has free readers for almost any platform, and you are not forcing the recipient to own the proper version of expensive proprietary software to read it.
  • LaTeX gives you complete control over the layout of your document.
  • LaTeX can be converted to a number of different formats.
  • LaTeX itself and many converters, viewers, and add-on packages are free.
  • A resume done with LaTeX (the Computer Modern font anyway) might mark you as a member of the scientific/research/academic community. Depending on the job, it could help your chances.
  • LaTeX is plain text and can be easily version-controlled using CVS or other version control software.
  • LaTeX is flexible. You can use any platform you want, and any editor you want.

So, the purpose of this post is not to introduce anything ground-breaking or new to the world about LaTeX Resumes, but rather lump a bunch of great resources and examples together that I found throughout my research so that it’s easy for others to see!

My Resume has been done in LaTeX as well and it can be found on my homepage or more specifically, here. I found that one nice thing about doing it in LaTeX is that I was able to easily create a scannable txt and html Resume as well! You can see the source .tex file here. I would only hope that you customize it a bit… nobody wants their resume to get lost in the pile because it looks like everyone else!

More Resume Tempates:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) (There are several here.)

Todd C. Miller

Matthew M. Boedicker

linux.dsplabs.com.au (Great tutorial!)

Andrew McNabb

David Grant

Miklós Csürös

• ike
    September 22nd, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I would also add that you can save all of your information in the resume and use comments to easily tailor your resume for a specific application!

• Louise Resume
    November 3rd, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I hadn’t heard of this program before. I should give it a go.

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    February 10th, 2011 at 8:46 am

Hi Derek,

I recently saw your LaTeX resume template that you posted
    (http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2008/10/latex-resume-examples/)

It looks fantastic and provides a great place to start building a
    LaTeX resume. You mentioned that it was easy to generate a scannable
    txt resume from the LaTeX source. Is there some prepackaged script
    that automates this, or did you write a script to do it?

Thanks for posting such a great article!

Cheers,
    Vinay

Vinay,

Thanks for getting in touch with me! I appreciate it.

I can honestly say that I had a hard time figuring out how to convert
    from a .tex to .txt file. I was able to accomplish this using a
    package under Linux, but I forgot to document it and now I’m not sure
    how I did it. In fact, I haven’t been able to do it since the first
    time (every time I make a change, I make it in two places: one in the
    tex file and then in the txt file). I know, it’s lame. I think that
    I very faintly remember converting it first to an HTML page, and then
    editing it down to the better looking txt file.

I just ran a quick google search and found this nice little link:

It has several different suggestions.

Yet another find:

I know this probably isn’t what you wanted to hear, but it’s the best
    I can do right now for you. I hope this helps a bit.

It has given me some inspiration though… I wonder if it would be
    difficult to create a script to take care of the entire conversion.
    Hmmm. :-)

Thanks,
    Derek Hildreth

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    April 12th, 2011 at 8:29 am

A gentleman sent in an email when having difficulties compiling this source file with MiKTeX on Windows 7 due to missing fullpage.sty package. After suggesting that he take a look at this post, he mentioned that all he had to do was simply remove the “empty” argument from the fullpage line. I would first suggest taking a look at this post, and then if that doesn’t seem to resolve it, try the second suggestion by changing this:
    usepackage{latexsym}

filecolor=black,%
    ...

Best Regards,
    Derek

• Ben
    August 28th, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Just FYI, the .txt version you link to has your address rather than the ‘web header’ message.

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    August 29th, 2011 at 8:01 am

I appreciate that. Thank you for the tip. It’ll be taken care of soon.

• S Roy
    November 8th, 2011 at 10:52 am

You have an awesome template. The best I found on the internet.
    Would appreciate a small help.
    Is there a way to put a small logo on the top right corner of the resume?
    If so, would really be great if you could post the latex code for the same :)

Thank you.

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    November 20th, 2011 at 10:35 am

Inserting an image isn’t so bad. There are many resources out there that will help you do it. As far as putting a logo on a resume, I wouldn’t. I hear putting a logo or a picture of yourself is the worst thing you can do. Maybe you have something else in mind though… good luck!

• Brad
    November 20th, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Is the link to download the tex file is broken? Can anyone else download it?

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    November 21st, 2011 at 7:17 am

My apologies… there was a security breach through one of the plugins that I use on my webhost and now there’s an infinite redirect which is why the download link doesn’t work. I’ll be looking into how to correct this asap.

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    November 21st, 2011 at 11:46 am

There… I believe I have removed the offending files. Give it another go.

• Rakesh Hammond
    December 14th, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Great template – I am going to have a go at using it to create my CV.

I am on a old Ubuntu machine (9.10), which is no longer supported. When I download your tex file and type

latex cv.tex

it produces a cv.pdf. One issue is your section headers (for example Education) are completely black where as in your example here they are greyed out so that you can read the text. Do you know whats causing this effect?

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    December 14th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

When I first started to use this template, I was on an older version of Ubuntu as well (possibly the same?!).

I recently posted another tutorial on how to build a .tex file. I’m pretty sure it’s the same set of steps I used to build the template. See if this helps at all:

If the headers are black, that would point to an issue with using the user defined color. I wonder if you could change the color to red or something and see what happens?

• Rakesh Hammond
    December 22nd, 2011 at 9:20 am

It now works using pdflatex rather than latex, I didn’t have to change any colours.

Is there some way of getting page numbers to work on this template (like page 1 of 2?)

Rakesh