How To Enable Graphical Boot with Plymouth [Fedora Tip]

Thanks to this guide by axel, I was able to get rid of the simple blue/light blue/white bar loader and get the fancy graphical loader better known as Plymouth. Keep in mind that I am using it on a laptop that has Intel 945GM graphics.

I’m going to keep things basic without a lot of jargon. If you’d like more details on this, visit this page.

Type the following into the terminal to configure grub:

gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

Then, within the grub.conf file, add the bold text below (this value will also depend upon which screen resolution you’d like. To get this value, visit this page):

title Fedora (2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686)
root (hd0,9)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 ro root=UUID=a61c8338-e373-4389-ae00-32942185f7c2 rhgb quiet vga=792
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.img

If you’d like to add more themes, you’ll need to first download and install them and then set them as default. To do this, type the following into the terminal, replacing what’s within the {} with the loader of your choice):

yum install plymouth-plugin-{fade-in,pulser,spinfinity}

Then, set your theme as default:

plymouth-set-default-plugin pluginname
/usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd

Source: http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/125/26/1/12/#plymouth

• bachi.tux
    November 28th, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Thanks!

It works perfectly 😉

• Joe Namath
    December 11th, 2008 at 11:08 am

It is a dupe of the info at:

No new content. Add some or just give us the link.

December 18th, 2008 at 11:18 pm

@ Joe:

I’d like to think that I provide a nice collection of information here, even if it had originated from some place else. If I just had links, I would personally feel like I’m running some sort of spam/useless link site. Goodness knows how many clicks you had to take to get here… why not save you another click and just present it here! I guess that’s just the way I see it.

• Ronald van Kuijk
    January 3rd, 2009 at 9:53 am

Derek,

Thanks, but I tend to agree with Joe a little. At least give credit to the original author.

Ronald

January 3rd, 2009 at 11:46 am

Easy enough. Consider it done.

I put one more link to the original source in the post. There is now three credits to the original author whereas before there were two.

• Saravan
    January 3rd, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Will Plymouth work with an old Intel 82815 Graphics Card? I really want to try it out.

January 3rd, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Funny you should ask. My other computer has that exact graphics card! I’ll try it out soon and let you know.

January 3rd, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Yup! It works with that graphics card! Have fun with it.

• Saravan
    January 5th, 2009 at 9:00 am

WhooHoo! Thanks a million!!! I’ll try it out when I get home tonite. Thanks!

• Saravan
    January 5th, 2009 at 9:03 am

Ah, man. It didn’t work. I keep getting:

Undefined Video Mode Number: 317
    to view list of available modes, to continue or wait 30 secs.

Any ideas on what’s wrong? Thx.

• shlag
    January 6th, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Saravan, for your video card no DRM kernel modesetting drivers (and for all, who get text boot by default)

But you cat use framebuffer to show nice plymouth boot process (this is a hack. Booting will be little longer and screen will be flick when X starts).

Type vga=ask in kernel line, when try different VESA modes (for example 317 = 1024x768x16 bit)

look at:
    and this comment:

sorry for my english 😉

• David Reed
    January 24th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Hey Derek! Not sure if you remember me or not. I was in your ward at BYU-Idaho. I just happened to stumble upon your blog when I was researching how to enable the plymouth graphical boot.

• erickgoes
    December 3rd, 2009 at 7:03 am

Hey Derek

Please, how change background color of Plymouth when booting?

Thanks

_/
    (oo)
    _||_
    erick

December 3rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I don’t know the answer to that. I believe you’ll need to create an entirely new plug-in just to simply change the background color.

• Rodney Luedtke
    June 13th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Good write up, I will be sure to save this post in my Del.icio.us account. Have a great evening.

1. Fedora Plymouth Graphics and Compiz Fusion—dmtdev