How To: Install VirtualBox on Fedora 10 [Tutorial]

Updated November 25th, 2008

This is a tutorial on how to get VirtualBox up and running on Fedora 10.  Also, this tutorial is for the 32-Bit version of VirtualBox, so you’ll have to customize a little more to get the 64-bit version running. Everything in the “code” sections should be copy/pasted/typed into the terminal. Right, let’s get to it:

PreStep.) Open the terminal and get into super user mode:

1.) Get the latest VirtualBox package (as of now, 2.0.6) from the VirtualBox website for Fedora 9 and install it (generally, after a few months, the Fedora 10 link will be available).

wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.0.6/VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm && rpm -ivh VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm

2.) Get the kernel-devel package:

yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel dkms

3.) Run the setup file for VirtualBox:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

4.) Add yourself to the “vboxusers” group and fix the SELinux Permissions:

usermod -G vboxusers -a username
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so

5.) Run, and enjoy!

VirtualBox

6.) To Get USB Support:

1 – create a new group called “usb”;
2 – locate file usbfs: in my case is /sys/bus/usb/drivers (I suggest to find the file with a usb device inserted;
3 – modify file /etc/fstab inserting a line containing the right path and the number corresponding the “usb” group :
none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0
4 – command mount -a;
5 – start VB and try…;

Source: Fedora Forums

7.) To Properly Backup the VirtualBox Machine (.vdi):

Please refer to my other page here:

How To: Properly Backup a VirtualBox Machine (.VDI)

8.) To Get Sound Working:

Highlight your virtual machine and click on the “Settings” button. Click on the “Sound” category, and then check the “Enable Sound” option. In the drop-down box, select “PulseAudio”. You should now have sound.

That’s it!  If you find yourself with problems, feel free to comment below or ask for assistance on the fedora forum thread that I have created located here.

• xodeus
    November 30th, 2008 at 11:07 am

Hi. I’ve made a danish translation of your guide. 😀
    You can find it here: http://guide.xodeus.dk/2008/11/27/virtualbox-pa-fedora-core-10-x86_64/

November 30th, 2008 at 11:17 am

Thank you!

That is much appreciated and unexpected!

• Jeff
    December 2nd, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Thank you for this guide. I found that using the vboxusers gid in the usbfs line made usb work for me though.

none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=1001,devmode=664 0 0

• valente
    December 4th, 2008 at 3:00 am

works, thanks

• KBT
    December 5th, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I have done what you post, but when i run it i get this:

WARNING: The compilation of the vboxdrv.ko kernel module failed during the installation for some reason. Starting a VM will not be possible. Please consult the User Manual for build instructions.

but it seems to run, what you suggest to do?

Regards
    KBT

• Bob
    December 7th, 2008 at 9:06 am

The message seems to be a carryover from failed compiles, when I

rm -f /etc/vbox/*

and then rerun

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

the problem went away.

• wracko
    December 8th, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! I have a virtual machine in ubuntu, now I moved to fedora 10 and having trouble to use my virtual machine. Now, tnaks to you, I can run it again! Thanks a lot!

• Jan
    December 10th, 2008 at 3:40 am

Hello,
    I have a problem with USB working on F10. I tried:
    none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0
    or
    none /proc/bus/usb/ usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0

and after I ran mount -a and then VirtualBox, it was OK. But after reboot the USB devices in VirtualBox window are greyed again!

Does anyone have a same problem? How to solve it?

Jan

• Rick Noelle
    December 17th, 2008 at 11:17 am

Thanks for the guide Derek. If you install the dependency packages from step two before you install the Virtualbox RPM, Virtual box will compile the module when you install it so you don’t even need step three. Just something I noticed. So in other words, if you do this:

1) wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.0.6/VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm
    2) yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel dkms
    3) rpm -Uvh VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm

it is slightly more automated.

You can see all the post install scripts the RPM tries to run (before you install it) with the following command. Take out the p if you already have it installed.

rpm -qp –scripts VirtualBox-2.1.0_41146_fedora9-1.i386.rpm

This guide helped me out. Thanks.

• Rick Noelle
    December 17th, 2008 at 11:19 am

Oops, that last command should match your version of the rpm:

rpm -qp –scripts VirtualBox-.rpm

I realized after I posted my comment that I used a version different than the one in the original post.

• jtk
    December 17th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Jan
    I had the same problem. What worked for me was putting in a “blank” filter rather than a named one and let vbox find the devices. I have tried this on a 32 bit desktop and a 64 bit server host with a windows xp guest and both are now working.

As a complete noob to linux I had been caught out earlier by the example line above “none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0”. When I initially created the group the devgid was 502 and I didn’t know enough to link the two together.

Thanks to Derek for the step by step instructions and to the others who made additional comments, especially about the wget issue where the file gets renamed.
    Thankfully I knew enough to be able to rename the file and it was plain sailing from there ( well virtually ! )

• sejo
    December 17th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Thank you very much!

• gary
    December 21st, 2008 at 1:27 pm

if I don’t run virtualbox as root I get this message:
    failed to create virtual com object
    Callee RC:
    NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED (0x80040154)

I followed all of your instructions or am I note seeing something?

• kotsergy
    December 25th, 2008 at 1:20 pm

2 gary:

You need to change permissions to the folder /tmp/.vbox-your_login-ipc e.g. /tmp/.vbox-gary-ipc

• Denis
    January 1st, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info. Worked like a charm!!

• new
    January 6th, 2009 at 3:46 am

i have this error
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

vbox-install.log:
    Attempting to install using DKMS
    removing old DKMS module vboxdrv version

Error! Invalid number of parameters passed.
    Usage: remove -m -v –all
    or: remove -m -v -k

——————————
    Deleting module version: 2.1.0
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ——————————
    Done.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/2.1.0/source ->
    /usr/src/vboxdrv-2.1.0

DKMS: add Completed.

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686 cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686/build or /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686/source.
    You can use the –kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it’s located.
    Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
    Makefile:143: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR= and run Make again. Stop.

ihave fedora 10 and vb 2.1.0
    i’m new to linux

• kevin
    January 7th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I had the same problem .. I’m on FC8 and yum installed my kernel source here: /usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.1-42.fc8-i686/. So you might want to see if your kernel source is installed somewhere under /usr/src/kernels and then create a KERN_DIR env variable to point there (ie. export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.1-42.fc8-i686). Then run the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup again. HTH.

• AndyB
    January 10th, 2009 at 9:21 am

I am trying to install virtualbox 2.1.0 with Fedora 10 and these instructions to not work. When I type “/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup”
    all I get is:

Stopping VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

The log file above says:

Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686/build or /lib/modules/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686/source.
    You can use the –kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it’s located.
    Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without

• alex
    January 11th, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Many Thanks! Worked well with version Virtualbox 2.1.0.

• fs111
    January 12th, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Great howto, but I have one remark: In case you run a 32bit OS on 64bit Hardware and you use a kernel w/ PAE you need to install kernel-PAE-devel (not kernel-devel), otherwise the compilation will fail.

• kevin
    January 14th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

>> How to I find my kernel source? This is a fresh install of Fedora 10, so it must be a bug in Fedora?

You need to install the kernel-devel for your kernel.

You can download the rpm from here:

Then do:
    rpm -ivh kernel-devel-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686.rpm

• DS Blank
    February 2nd, 2009 at 7:41 am

As of Feb 2, 2009 you also need to:

yum install qt qt-x11
    wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.2/VirtualBox-2.1.2_41885_fedora9-1.i386.rpm

• bigbrovar
    February 3rd, 2009 at 12:05 am

Great Guide worked like a charm. Thanks

• wansir
    February 10th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Very helpful information. Thanks.
    On my fc10 host, usbfs is under /sys/module/usbcore/drivers

• Webappz
    February 23rd, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Hi Derek. I’ve made a hungarian translation of your guide.
    You can find it here: http://sys-admin.hu/tippek_es_trukkok/20090107/virtualbox_telepitese_fedora_10_re

Webappz

April 11th, 2009 at 11:18 pm

That was completely unexpected and yet, incredibly awesome to hear! Thank you!

• TRANMAI
    March 3rd, 2009 at 3:37 am

Please help me!
    When I do: # sh ….. /opt/virtualbox, I recieve error:
    Building the VirtualBox kernel module
    Failed to build the vboxdrv kernel module.
    Please check the log file /var/log/vbox-install.log for more information.
    And then I do: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, I recieve error:
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
    The logfile is:
    make: *** Warning: File `Makefile’ has modification time in the future (2009-02-26 10:20:13 > 2002-01-01 06:26:19.8579)
    make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.5 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.5 modules
    make[1]: *** Warning: File `.depend’ has modification time in the future (2003-10-29 15:43:28 > 2002-01-01 06:26:19.877226)

The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
    Type ‘make config’ and enable loadable module support.
    Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
    make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2
    I use Fedora Core 10 (kernel-devel 2.4.11) and VirtualBox 2.1.4
    Please reply me the answer! Thanks o lot

April 11th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Honestly, I kinda freak out when it comes to kernel building. I haven’t started to tread that water yet. Good luck to you!

• darin
    May 12th, 2009 at 10:50 am

fs111’s point about the PAE kernel was a HUGE hint. I didn’t even realize I had the PAE kernel installed. I had to run the following command before the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup step would succeed on my Fedora 10 host:
    # ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686.PAE /lib/modules/2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686.PAE/build

Obviously replace the version numbers with those specific to your kernel. Enjoy.

• Dirtyl3um
    May 29th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I would like to add that you need to make sure your kernel is up to date before you do this, so do a system update and get the latest devel for the kernel, install all then reboot and run the setup 😀

just took 30 minutes for me to figure out that i had the old evel and was running an newer kernel

• erasmo
    August 24th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Instala:
    yum install VirtualBox-OSE-kmodsrc.i386

• Samuel
    September 12th, 2009 at 9:40 am

when I run the command “usermod -G vboxusers -a samuel chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so”, I get the following error:

usermod: user /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so does not exist

what should I do? I am not use to linux

• tkep1008
    September 14th, 2009 at 10:59 am

* I ran into this site and had usb issues. I did not create a usb users group as there was a vboxusers group already included. in GUI go to System > Administration > Users and Groups

*Write down or remember what Group ID vboxusers has, in my case it was 501
    Group = Group ID
    vboxusers = 501

* if your own username is currently not part of vboxusers make sure it is added (i will skip these steps considering that Virtualbox will not run at all if you arent in that group)

* unmount the usbfs
    sudo umount /proc/bus/usb/

* if an error comes up when you try to unmount, reboot the system

* open up the /etc/fstab
    sudo vi /etc/fstab

* Enter the following (if 501 is your vboxusers Group ID)
    none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=501,devmode=664 0 0

* Save and exit the file

* As long as the umount command worked, then mount all that is in the /etc/fstab
    sudo mount -a

* Open up VirtualBox and add USB devices to your guest, and reboot or start a new guest system

• K1
    September 21st, 2009 at 8:00 pm

I’m new in linux, Could you please tell me what do you exactly mean by:
    (ie. “export” KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.1-42.fc8-i686)

I have found my kernel address, but I dunno what to do with that!

• Auzieman
    October 20th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Thank you for your write up, I was about to loose my marbles trying to figure out why vbox 3 was still not seeing my darn iphone via usb.. /sys.. . .that was the magic missing bit..

You would think who ever packages the rpms would add that to the install scripts..

Thank you!!!

1. VirtualBox no Fedora 10 | Blog do ricK
  2. Instalando VirtualBox en Fedora 10 « Japega blog blog…