How to Install/Upgrade Banshee 1.4 in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex [Tutorial]

On November 10, 2008, a new release of Banshee, one of the most popular music players for Linux, came out with new features and benefits (Banshee 1.4). Here’s how to upgrade your existing installation to the latest version (you can adapt this guide for other Linux distributions as well, but it was specifically written for Ubuntu 8.10):

Open your “/etc/apt/sources.list” file for edit by typing this into the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add these lines to “sources.list”, and then close the editor:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/banshee-team/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/banshee-team/ubuntu intrepid main

Refresh your sources by typing the following into the terminal:

sudo apt-get update

If you have Banshee installed already, you should now see an available update. Go ahead and run the update to get the latest Banshee 1.4 installed on your system.

If you don’t already have Banshee installed, you should be able to install Banshee 1.4 by typing the following into the terminal:

sudo apt-get install banshee

Now, you should be good to go! Enjoy the many new features and benefits of Banshee 1.4!

If you have a different version of Ubuntu, you may need to change the sources.list items to reflect that. Refer to this page for instructions.

• Stephen
    November 13th, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Will 1.4 be added to the official repos, or is this the only way to get it?

November 13th, 2008 at 6:24 pm

@ Stephen:

That’s actually a really good question. I would like to think that it would eventually be added in the repos, but I couldn’t tell you for sure. I’m impatient, and the update sounded really good, so I wasn’t going to wait to find out. Hence, this guide.

Here’s a thread over at the Ubuntu forums that may be of use to you:

• Julio
    November 13th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Thank you for this!!! The banshee website said it would be in the Intrepid repos but it’s not.

• Aleks
    November 14th, 2008 at 8:09 pm

A minor gripe. Great article, but you generally never want to open up a graphical application with sudo. Use gksudo instead.

• Sue
    December 21st, 2008 at 2:48 am

The instructions here for upgrading were brilliant, thank you. I was hoping that the new version would be better at getting metadata from an albums, but it was just as bad as the old version for this…. Rhythmbox gets it no problem, but Banshee only manages it for one in ten of my albums – any ideas on this would be welcome!
    Many thanks.

December 21st, 2008 at 4:08 pm

You’re welcome!

You may want to try messing around with the ID3 tags using EasyTag or something similar. I know that Banshee has a problem with recognizing the latest version of the tagging system (I know because I had the same problem as you). I eventually got them to work, but I’m not sure how. This link will give you some information and hopefully some resolution:

• ryan
    January 9th, 2009 at 7:57 am

Hey thanks for this I thought it might not work when one of the repos failed on the update

• Guillaume
    February 2nd, 2009 at 6:39 am

I tried following the instructions on uBuntu 8.04. Everything worked and the Banshee update is now into my updates list, but it won’t run because it says there is no public key for this update.

Did not find a fix to this problem …

• mr alex
    March 9th, 2009 at 8:41 am

guillaume,
    in the where you change the source list take out intrepid and replace it with hardy

April 11th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Hey, thanks for stepping in there like that. I’ve been all kinds of busy with schoolwork that I haven’t had the chance to catch up on my comments until just now. I love the Linux community!