Jan

Turn Fedora into a PS3 Media Server [Tutorial]

This tutorial will walk you through a successful installation of a Fedora Media Server for streaming pictures, video, and audio to your PS3. I would suspect that you will be able to complete these steps and be up and running in less than an hour. These are the steps that worked for me using Fedora 10 Linux, the PS3 with the latest updates, uShare, and a Linksys WRT54G Router. This guide is adaptable to other flavors of Linux as well including Ubuntu, Debian, openSuse, etc. Let’s get to it!

First, setup your PS3 to have a static IP address by following this guide:

Second, setup port forwarding and enable UPNP in your router so that your PS3 will be UPNP enabled. I’m not going to explicitly list all instructions in this tutorial, but I will lead you to a great guide for the popular routers:
Linksys WRT54G Router
Netgear WGR614NA Router
D-Link WBR-2310 Router
Belkin F5D7230-4 Routers
All Other Routers (with some modems)

These are the ports you need to forward:
TCP port 80, 443 and 5223
UDP port 3478, 3479 and 3658

You will be forwarding these ports to the PS3′s IP address. For example:
“Port 80 forward to 192.168.1.110″

Also, remember to enable UPnP on your router.
Hint: Now you should get NAT2 with the NAT test on your PS3

Third, we’re going to open the terminal, sign in as root, and then install the necessary packages:

su -c 'yum install ushare ushare-freeworld libdlna'

Then, we will need to open the configuration file by typing in the following command:

gedit /etc/ushare.conf

Next, we will need to specify which network card uShare should use. If you don’t know, use the following as a guideline: If you’re using a cable to connect to your router, then “eth0″ or “eth1″ should work. If you’re using the wireless card, then chances are it’s going to be “wlan0″. Place this value into the “USHARE_IFACE” field like so:

USHARE_IFACE=network_card

Example using a wireless connection:

USHARE_IFACE=wlan0

Next, you will need to edit a few more lines in the “/etc/ushare.conf” file, namely the port number, the shared directories (notice the lack of spaces), and enable DLNA support like so:

USHARE_PORT=49200
USHARE_DIR=/path/to/your/media,/path/to/your/media/2,/path/to/your/media/3
USHARE_ENABLE_DLNA=YES

Then, you’ll need to edit yet another configuration file. Open this one by typing the following into the terminal:

gedit /etc/init.d/ushare

Find the line that has the “OPTIONS=” field and make it look like this:

OPTIONS=”d”

Next, you will then need to type this command into the terminal to start the service:

/etc/init.d/ushare start

Finally, you’ll need to configure the firewall in Fedora. Firewall settings can be found in “System ->Administration -> Firewall”. You’ll want to add a user defined port (49200) by selecting “Other Ports” and add it there.

You should now be sitting pretty enjoying all of your digital media! Have a lot of fun!  If you’re not seeing anything on your PS3, try restarting the service by typing this into the terminal and making sure the firewall is disabled:

/etc/init.d/ushare start

• Martin Kihuha
    January 6th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Wow! This is fantastic and quite easy 4 Linux newbies. Av been using Redhat and have been a big fan of Fedora since its conception.

All works fine. Just cautionary measure. Instead of turning your Firewall off, just specify the port 49200 on your Firewall settings. If I can take you back just a bit:

USHARE_PORT=49200

Then, on your Firewall Configuration ( System>Administration>Firewall OR on the terminal #system-config-firewall & ) select Other Ports and Add a user defined port = 49200

That should take care of your Firewall configuration.

Once done, you should then restart the ushare service i.e. /etc/init.d/ushare restart

January 6th, 2009 at 11:42 pm

That’s terrific! Thank you. I’ll be sure to revise the post to fit those recommendations!

• KFH
    January 15th, 2009 at 1:16 am

Thank you very much for this great tutorial, got it all set up without a hitch and am now enjoying all my media on the PS3.

Thanks to the first poster for the tip on the firewall which I also set up without a hitch.

January 15th, 2009 at 10:53 am

I’m really happy to hear that! Thanks for letting us all know!

• Daniel
    March 17th, 2009 at 3:13 pm

It might also be worth your while to check out mediatomb. It has some really cool features; such as on-the-fly transcoding of all the media file types your ps3 can’t play. Of course, this takes a little bit of configuration…

April 11th, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for sharing that Daniel.

I did look at mediatomb and decided against it for some reason. I’m not sure what made me steer away from it, but it was a great tool as well. It’s always good to know that there are a variety of choices out there, isn’t it?

• Bob
    May 30th, 2009 at 11:18 pm

ONE HOURE!?

It took me less than 10 minutes to go through the instruction and install everything. That is a complete one.

However, it’s been more than 6 hours that I have a small problem and I can’t fix it.

I see all the shared folders that I add into the config file in my PS3, but they are all EMPTY!!

I believe it is a simple permission issue that I can’t figure it out.

Please help!

May 31st, 2009 at 10:00 am

I would suggest opening the permissions all the way initially just to test it out:
    chmod 777 -R /folder (or something like that)

• Kevin McDuck
    July 19th, 2009 at 4:59 am

I’m having the same problem as Bob. I see the folders, but my PS3 says there is nothing in them. I’ve set the permissions, and there are plenty of files in those folders, but the PS3 doesn’t see anything in them.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

McDuck

• Robin
    September 7th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Hello,
    I followed your instructions for ushare and it worked except for opening firewall ports on the Linux box. I needed to open 1900 (UDP) and 2869 (TCP) to get ushare to work. I have not tested to see if both parts are needed but this is what I found early this morning.

Once doing this, I was up and running except for the PS3′s limitations. Most of my music is in FLAC. This is a problem as mp3′s are to lossy for my preference.

I tried Daniel’s suggestion of mediatomb and was up an running in 10 minutes on Fedora 11 (64bit). The web browser is a nice way to configure available media.

Also for both services, you can use the /administration/services to configure the daemon process.

And to keep some sense of security on your system, if your media files are controlled by groups, then you can add ushare (mediatomb) to the group list for those groups. I provides some control over the subdirectories. I have mine setup with the MPAA suggestions of G-PG, PG-13, R and X. Needless to say, I don’t share the R or X over the UPNP at this time.

Thank you for the tutorial, it was very educational.

• Ray
    October 15th, 2009 at 6:24 am

Thanks for this great tutorial. Can I assume the same steps would work for Ubuntu?

October 17th, 2009 at 7:33 pm

There are similarities between the two systems, but I can’t verify that it will work for sure. The best advice I can give is to try it out for yourself!

• Curtiss
    October 31st, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I’m having a few problems, i got it to work, but i had to disable the firewall in Fedora, and i’m not really trying to do that, just for testing… Also, once i got connected I couldn’t see any files in the shared folder similar to what a few others were saying… Any ideas would be great. Also why is port forwarding required??? I have my PS3 open on my router, so i can browse the internet and such… Thanks

November 1st, 2009 at 1:50 am

I’m not sure about the other problems you’re having, but you’re probably right about the port forwarding… it might not be required.

• chandra sekhar
    March 8th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

am unable to see the file that i have shared,my ps3 shows no titles found

• sixfootmidget
    March 21st, 2010 at 5:32 pm

i too share bob and kevin’s problem. ive tried mediatomb with the same end result (no files found) i thought it might be a permission issue too but changing the permissions did nothing. this whole process has been completely infuriating.

• Lina Lina
    October 24th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Im having a problem here, I can see the folder on PS3 but I dont see any of the files that I had placed there in Fedora.. Derek, can you provide some suggestions ?

Thanks

• Lina Lina
    October 24th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

or anyone else that has solved this problem. please advise.. thanks

• Derek@TheDailyLinux
    October 24th, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Perhaps a permissions issue with the files you’ve placed in the shared folder? Try ‘chmod 777 filename’ on one or two files to test and if it works, then work down from there to find out the sweet spot for file permissions (775, 755, …).

• Ravnos
    May 14th, 2011 at 9:42 am

It is a permission problem, the init.d script starts with user “ushare”, if ushare cannot access your music folder then it will fail list its content. To fix this you may change user “ushare” to “root” like this:

start() {
    echo -n $”Starting $prog: ”
    daemon –user root $prog -d -D

note that this is potentially unsafe. Another option is to give proper permissions to the shared directories.