Jun

How To: Install VirtualBox on Fedora 11 [Tutorial]

Note: I have been unable to verify these steps. They should work just fine, but I’m a little concerned about the USB support fix. You may or may not want to try it at this point. I have it here just as a reference for now.

This is a tutorial on how to get VirtualBox up and running on Fedora 11. Also, this tutorial is for the 32-Bit version of VirtualBox, so you’ll have to customize a little more to get the 64-bit version running. Everything in the “code” sections should be copy/pasted/typed into the terminal. Right, let’s get to it:

PreStep.) Open the terminal and get into super user mode:

1.) Get the latest VirtualBox package (as of now, 2.2.4) from the VirtualBox website for Fedora 11 and install it.  The following command should download and install the application:
wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.2.4/VirtualBox-2.2.4_47978_fedora11-1.i586.rpm && rpm -ivh VirtualBox-2.2.4_47978_fedora11-1.i586.rpm

2.) Get the kernel-devel and other needed packages:
yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel dkms

3.) Run the setup file for VirtualBox:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

4.) Add yourself to the “vboxusers” group and fix the SELinux Permissions:
usermod -G vboxusers -a username
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so

5.) Run, and enjoy!
VirtualBox

6.) To Get USB Support:

1 – create a new group called “usb”;
2 – locate file usbfs: in my case is /sys/bus/usb/drivers (I suggest to find the file with a usb device inserted;
3 – modify file /etc/fstab inserting a line containing the right path and the number corresponding the “usb” group :
none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0
4 – command mount -a;
5 – start VB and try…;

Source: Fedora Forums

7.) To Properly Backup the VirtualBox Machine (.vdi):

Please refer to my other page here:

How To: Properly Backup a VirtualBox Machine (.VDI)

8.) To Get Sound Working:

Highlight your virtual machine and click on the “Settings” button. Click on the “Sound” category, and then check the “Enable Sound” option. In the drop-down box, select “PulseAudio”. You should now have sound.

That’s it! If you find yourself with problems, feel free to comment below or ask for assistance on the fedora forum thread that I have created located here.

• shahryar ghazi
    June 12th, 2009 at 6:34 am

thanks .. I was looking for this

• David Armoza
    June 17th, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for building this tutorial. I was going to try your fedora 10 one, but now that fedora 11 is out I’ll try this one.

One thing noted so far – Vanilla install of fc11 doesn’t have libQtCore.so.4, libQtGui.so.4 and libQtNetwork.so.4 so you’ll need to grab those and their various dependencies. I did a –

yum install libQtCore.so.4
    and
    yum install libQtGui.so.4

and that seemed to work OK.

• Ilkka
    June 19th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

After hours of trying, finally i found this, work as a dream now. THANKS!!!

• Will Reeves
    July 2nd, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Hey man, thanks for the simple and straight forward instructions. It works just fine getting client USB support going in Fedora 11.

However, I’m having a problem. It appears that shunting off USB ownership to a new group is breaking my USB wireless LAN adapter. It’s a Linksys WUSBF54G and has native kernel support under the open source ZyDAZ driver, but after altering the fstab file the system fails to see it at all. Once the added line is removed it goes right back to working again.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I’m kinda new to Fedora (and linux in general, though I have some experience with Ubuntu.)

• alireza seighalan
    July 4th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

thanks a lot
    would you teach virtualbox 3 install on fedora11 x86-64?

• Royal Sefton
    July 6th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Alireza:

Although I did not try the USB steps, everything else listed here worked for me in Fedora 11 x86_64 without any alterations.

Derek:

Thank you so very much for these steps! I’m still adapting to Fedora, yum, and all that from Debian and I appreciate the guidance.

• Luis
    July 6th, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Thanks Derek for your post. However, it didn’t work for me, for my VBox 3.0 install i had to follow the recipe shown in http://rajaseelan.com/2009/07/06/how-to-enable-usb-devices-for-virtualbox-guests-in-fedora-11/.

• icevyper
    July 6th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

I have the same problem as Will only I have a D-Link RT2870 based usb wlan. I checked and it shows up in ‘lsusb’ so the device is enumerating, but doesn’t seem to load the driver for it.

Anyone know a way to prevent this device being mounted as a USB device rather than network? Perhaps some sort of udev rule?

I did find a work around which raises some security concerns, which is to run VirtualBox as root. This actually eliminates step 6 altogether for me. I’m concerned about running as root so I’d really like to find the “correct” solution.

• Hans Kristian
    July 7th, 2009 at 12:38 am

I want to point out that after point 2 (yum install) I have had to restart my computer before running vboxdrv. I am not an expert on Linux, but it seems I am running one kernel and vboxdrv is trying to connect to another. I get a message about setting where the kernel directory is. If I reboot first I never get this problem.

Thank you though for this Howto. It has helped me a lot 🙂

• Don Wise
    July 26th, 2009 at 10:31 am

I was running Virtualbox successfully on FC10, but since upgrading to FC11 I cannot get it installed properly.

vboxdrv: version magic ‘2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i586 SMP mod_unload 586 ‘ should be ‘2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i686.PAE SMP mod_unload 686 ‘

Any suggestions?

• Hans Kristian Eide
    August 7th, 2009 at 5:41 am

To Don Wise:

Run point 2. and 3. again

• Vitali
    August 25th, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I had a version magic error with 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.i686.PAE kernel. Installing kernel-PAE-devel instead of kernel-devel solved the problem.

Thanks for the guide. It really helped.

• eric nagel
    August 28th, 2009 at 11:40 am

I am getting errors about my cpu not being 64-bit, I am not sure how to customize it. Is there a place I can go to get help. Your guide is great, it was working but I upgraded to the F11 64-bit when I realized I had not installed the correct version of F11, now all seems fine except to run 64bit.
    thanks, ejn

• Napolux
    October 7th, 2009 at 4:21 am

Hi 🙂

I’m having troubles installing VBOX 3.0 on Fedora11… rpm won’t install asking to resolve some dependencies about python…

Even installing with the –nodeps option seems to work… Any idea on how to solve?

Thanks in advance 😉

• joe74
    October 18th, 2009 at 11:02 am

I used this for the fstab and no problems at all

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

• Hector
    October 25th, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Ey man!! thanks a lot you save my life whit your tutorial.

• yesevil
    November 19th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

good work, excellent tut

• Pankaj
    December 23rd, 2009 at 10:44 am

Virtual Box in Fedora 11(host) with usb support is working for me but I connect to internet using usb connection to mobile and it disable in host.
    If I remove entry in etcfstab (none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0) and restart computer …I connect to internet but can’t get access usb device in Virtual Box.
    Is there an way I can connect I can connect to internet and use other usb devices in Virtual Box

• Henrik
    June 27th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Thanks a lot! Helped me out.

• Mahmudul Hasan
    August 29th, 2010 at 7:58 am

how to setup fedora11 and make swap partition

• [email protected]
    August 30th, 2010 at 7:48 am

When installing Fedora for the first time, there’s a step dedicated to creating your partition layout. Customize the partition layout to include a swap partition. They say to make it 2x the amount of RAM that you have, but there’s some controversy since RAM has been climbing in some systems to 16GB.

• Gerry
    May 6th, 2011 at 3:41 am

VirtualBox is finally working for me. Thanks for this very helpful post!

1. Body Of Knowledge: Virtualbox