How To: Install VirtualBox 3.2 on Fedora 14

This is a step by step tutorial on how to get VirtualBox 3.2 up and running on Fedora 14. Specifically, this guide was written using the VirtualBox 3.2.10 (32-bit) version. It can be adapted to upcoming versions and different CPUs (64-bit). The folks at VirtualBox have made it easy to install for Fedora users and I’m going to show you how in a few easy steps. Right, open a terminal window and let’s get to it…

Step 1: Download, Copy, and Edit Repository File

This is a one-liner command that will download, copy, and edit the VirtualBox repository file at once.

su -c 'curl http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/virtualbox.repo > /etc/yum.repos.d/virtualbox.repo; sed -i "s,enabled=0,enabled=1,g" /etc/yum.repos.d/virtualbox.repo'

Step 2: Update Repository and Install VirtualBox-3.2

This command will update yum repositories to include the new VirtualBox repository file we copied in the last step and then it will attempt to install VirtualBox-3.2 with dependencies.

su -c 'yum update; yum install -y VirtualBox-3.2 dkms gcc'

Step 3: Run VirtualBox Setup Script

This command will run the VirtualBox driver setup script (see small note below command).

su -c '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

If you’re having issues, try installing “kernel-devel” OR “kernel-PAE-devel” if the output of ‘uname -r’ contains the suffix of .PAE). Only install one to avoid confusing the system.

Step 4: Setup Groups for VirtualBox Access

This command will add you to the vboxusers group. Replace “username” with your actual username found by using the whoami command.

su -c 'usermod -G vboxusers -a username'

If you find that you’re getting SELinux errors or denials, try adding VirtualBox.so as an exception with this command:
su -c 'chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so'

Step 5: Run VirtualBox

Finally, run VirtualBox and have fun with it!

VirtualBox

Appendix A: To Properly Backup the VirtualBox Machine (.vdi):

Please refer to my other page here:

How To: Properly Backup a VirtualBox Machine (.VDI)

Appendix B: Setup a Pre-Built VirtualBox Guest Image

Please refer to my other page here:

How To: Setup a Pre-Built VirtualBox Guest Image [Tutorial/Guide]

Appendix C: Shrinking a VirtualBox Guest Image

Please refer to my other page here:

Shrinking a Dynamic VirtualBox Disk Image

• KrisB
    November 7th, 2010 at 3:22 pm

This is great stuff!…i had tried getting VirtualBox to work the point-n-click way from the Oracle website(i needed VirtualBox’s USB features) – but no luck with a “Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)” error being thrown up whenever i tried to start the vIrtual machine.

The above worked, cheers mate

• [email protected]
    November 18th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

@KrisB
    I ran into a similar error message after I changed my user id from 500 to 501, but I don’t think it had the same hex code as your error message had. My issue ended up being a simple change of ownership by running the command su -c 'chown username:username /tmp/.vbox-username-ipc'. I would suggest taking a look at the output when you run VirtualBox in the terminal instead of accessing it through the menu. This ought to give you additional output and let you know what’s going wrong.

• Fort Collins Web Design
    November 8th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Again, perfect… Also, I didn’t know it is possible to use update and install at the same time.. “yum update; yum install”. Learning something new is awesome. AND!. I noticed you use FF4, so I installed it last night to check it out. Great stuff. Thank you!

• brian
    November 14th, 2010 at 9:21 am

nice one, worked first try. I have a question though, how do you make a menu item to launch it? the only way to launch it now is from the terminal.

• Romz
    December 8th, 2010 at 2:15 am

How can i resolve my error? anyone help?

GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
    Aborted (core dumped)
    [[email protected] romel]#

• [email protected]
    December 8th, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yikes… that’s not one that I’ve ever seen before.

Do you have all updates applied to your Fedora install? What does Google turn up?

• DaDoz
    December 12th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

A concise and well-worded tutorial. Got V-Box running quickly on Fedora 14 following the directions. Many thanks.

• ???
    December 31st, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS
    Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686 cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686/build or /lib/modules/2.6.35.6-45.fc14.i686/source.
    [ABORT]
    (Failed, trying without DKMS)
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [ABORT]
    (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

• Fermín
    January 28th, 2011 at 7:42 am

it works!

• wujokrzysio
    February 26th, 2011 at 10:19 am

works fine, good tutorial!

thanx

• Ben
    February 28th, 2011 at 9:48 am

Ta for this, I had 4.* installed via RPM but the permissions were making me pull my hair out.
    This has saved me from being bald.

• Biswajit
    March 7th, 2011 at 6:15 am

Virtual box in fedora 12 showing this error when i start in terminal

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen(“/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so”,) failed: /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory